Monday, April 9, 2007

Got Insurance??? Maldivian Insurance Policy Ya All

You know just two dayz ago my wife was talking about signing her insurance forms as a mandatory thing for all in IGMH....and there I was thinking, since there health benefits from before have been quite reasonable, its gonna be kinda cool to have an insurance card and all with similar benefits.
Boy, was I wrong. She came back that day from duty and, lo n behold she had the miracle insurance papers with her. So I go asking her, didja read what you signed. Guess what she said....nope they didnt ask me to read or explain any of the terms outlined...they just asked me to sign. And what's more, the people who made me sign were not even from the insurance company, there were just normal hospital staff.
So, I thought ok....signing something with terms you never read may not be as bad since they had such good health benefits before. But guess what, when I had a look at the damned thing, two points caught my eye instantly.
First and fore most, the damned thing dun cover any medical bills due to injury in the work place.....I was like what the heck.
And the second one was even more alarming for me. The document also strongly stated that a pregnant woman will not be covered by the policy unless they inform of the condition 90 days from the date they find out they are pregnant. Now this point is ok in a normal sense, but the part that fuked me up was that my wife was due in 3 or less months and nowhere in the document was there any mention of what to do if you were 6 months pregnant when you signed this money trap.
All of ya out there, any one had a good look at that policy.....it really is raving lunacy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not the most qualified person to do this, but since I dealt with a few forms myself, this is what I think.

You were right, joining the insurance program is not a mandatory thing, all government staff shall eventually be covered by it, as the Min. of Finance has informed offices to withhold paying the quarterly medical allowances. And btw, Min. of Social Welfare (which is the government regulatory body for this) sent a list of employees to Global Maldives (the insurer) last October so its very likely that your wife is already covered by it. (for the love of Dieu, ask your wife not to sign stuff without reading first. It might have very well been a power-of-attorney appointment) So now you are asking, what the heck did she sign? Its called an Enrolment Questionnaire Form, which basically concludes the formalities by informing the insurers of your medical history.
މަ ކީއްކުރަންތަ ކަލޭމެންނަށް މީތިކިޔާދޭންވީ؟ އަމިއްލައަށް ގުޅައިގެން އަހާ 3344970 :P

hamzah said...

Aint nobody gonna mess with sugar. Pieces of paper be damned. All hell will break loose if any harm comes to my baby love child.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.